Sunday, August 17, 2014

You're my Angel


I grew up in a family where there wasn't much of a difference between the physical and metaphysical planes.
My grandmother and her sisters regularly talked about having visions and seeing angels and communing with the dead. I never had any doubt, thanks to Grama, that I had a guardian angel who was with my all the time.
I am sure my angel spends a lot of time face palming, just because I can do some pretty stupid things, but I am human.

When I went to school, I began to realize that not everyone was exposed to the same things I was. I learned to shut that side off and not talk about it, for fear of being picked on. I stopped talking to my guardian angel, and tried to forget about the metaphysical side of life. There has always been a tugging in that direction, but I ignored it. After I met my husband, a fairly devout Catholic, and when I was studying youth ministry I tried to pretend angels live in the heavenly realm and really don't have much interaction with mere mortals.

I should mention that I was also going through some of the darkest periods of my life during this time. I should have been calling on my guardian angels, but instead I toughed it out. (live and learn, I suppose) It was after I became a mother myself that I realized that not only were these stories part of our family history, they were part of our faith journey. I want my son to call on his guardian angel when he needs to. (or just talk to them too. Nothing wrong with that) The older I get, as well, the more I need the reassurance that someone is looking out for my best interests. 

Guardian angels are sometimes confused with "spirit guides." A spirit guide is a loving being who has lived upon the earth in human form. This person then received special training in the afterlife about how to become a spirit guide. This training emphasizes that the guide is not to interfere with your free will or make decisions for you.
The guide is there to give you general advice, comfort, and at times warning and protection. Most spirit guides are deceased loved ones. 
Your spirit guide may have passed-away in the physical life before you were born. However, this loving being was there at your birth and has been with you every day of your life since.

 

















No comments: