Friday, September 05, 2014

Paperback Writer

From the time I was a small child, I have been a voracious reader. I loved being read to and reading on my own as I got older. Its something that I have worked hard to instill in the Little Man too.Reading opens doors and transports you to whole other worlds. Books can also change your life.

 

There have been five that did just that for me. I did not include any of the most obvious choices, like the Bible, because that didn’t just change my life-it framed it for me. I also did not include any fiction, since

 

The first one was Simple Abundance by Sarah ben Brethnact. It’s a daybook-you read one essay a day. Sometimes there are exercises to do, like creating a look book or reading something. Other times, its just a piece to read and reflect upon. I’ve been using this book for about 15 years now. Despite having read each and every essay dozens and dozens of times, there is something comforting about it. Its part of my morning routine. Its taught me valuable lessons. The first was developing an attitude of gratitude. One of the first exercises listed is to create a gratitude journal, which I’ve kept for well over a decade now. Another lesson learned is that of finding simple joy in things, and to look for beauty in each and every day.

 

The second book that changed my life was the Artist’s Way. Reading it was a revelation. For most of my life, I have been a creative soul. I write. I paint. I craft. I scrap. I do all sorts of creative endeavors. However, since I am an accountant and youth minister by trade, I never considered myself an artist. After reading this book and working through the exercises, I can call myself one now. I start my morning with my daily pages. When I skip it, I can tell. It helps keep the flow flowing. Another concept was the weekly artist date. I spend some quality time with my muse, and sometimes its creating something, other times I’m working my kitchen magic. Then there are other times I take a class or even just move.

 

The third was Ghost Hunter by Hans Holzer. I read over and over and over again as a kid, and its inspired me to pursue my paranormal interests. It introduced me to the concept that ghosts were real, and can be quantified. As I grew older, it encouraged me to get into the paranormal field and find like minded souls.

 

The fourth book was Restoring the Woven Cord. About 15 years ago, the associate rector of my beloved Trinity Princeton went on sabbatical to IonaScotland to study Celtic spirituality. When he returned, we had a series of adult forums and study groups to learn about it as well. My faith shifted, because this was a faith practice that was entwined in my soul. I “got” it. We used the book as a discussion guide and reference source. I have read it so much over the years that the binding on my highlighted and tabbed copy has broken. I don’t want to replace it just yet because its such a special book to me.

 

The fifth and final book may be a bit of a surprise, unless you really know me well. Scott Cunningham’s book, Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner. Since I was already interested in the paranormal, this was a natural progression. Wicca is loosely based on ancient Celtic and Britannic pagan traditions, but as a theology Wicca is relatively new. I thought it was fascinating how traditional holidays (ember days and holy days in the Christian calendar) became Wiccan Sabbats. It also is a terrific resource for herbal remedies as well as aromatherapy blends. I have to admit that this book was my introduction to those fields, and for that I am thankful.

 

No comments: