Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Mother Runner

MI started running in high school. I was a sprinter on the track team in addition to playing field hockey and lacrosse. I continued into college.

I ran off and on in adulthood, but wasn't really consistent.

Now I'm in my 40's, and I realized how much I miss running. 

I need to work on cardio endurance, and running is a great way to do it. Since I haven't been running consistently, I'm starting over from scratch. I love the couch to 5 k program for training. It's simple, easy to use ( it even has an app you can download!) and it works. 
It's a 10 week program, so you need to plan ahead for your race. For example, for the Sioux Glow in August, i started training in May. You train 3 days a week, starting off mostly walking, building up to running for 25 minutes. 

When you run a 5k, there are a lot of things to remember for race day. I always make sure I have a spot for my car key. (Valet key, in my iPod arm band). A decent breakfast. Anti chaffing gel on my feet and thighs ( trust me on this one). Bib and pins. Energy gel ( it's made it easier to finish) 

And my favorite? My recovery drink.

It's a supercharged smoothie. 

Chocolate protein powder
Milk ( I like almond)
2 tbsp peanut butter (I like all natural, fresh ground)
Berries
Kale or spinach

I blend everything together & put in an insulated mug to chug after the race.



No comments: